SECG is a Singapore-based group of highly experienced education policy-makers, practitioners and trainers who between them cover the whole spectrum from early-childhood education, primary, secondary, tertiary and TVET. All of us have international consulting experience. In particular, we have worked in Asia and the Middle East in education reform, teacher preparation and professional development.
In a career spanning over four decades, Prof S. Gopinathan has been extensively involved in Singapore’s education policy and practice planning, and in teacher education. He served as the Dean of the School of Education/ National Institute of Education, Singapore from 1994–2000 and was appointed Professor of Education in April 1999. He is presently an Adjunct Professor at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, NUS. He is a founding member of the Singapore Education Research Association.
He has served as a consultant to the World Bank, Unesco, Unicef, the Commonwealth of Learning, the Hong Kong Institute of Education, the University Brunei Darusaalam and the Aga Khan University Institute of Education (Pakistan). In the Middle East, he was Lead Consultant for the establishment of the Emirates College for Advanced Education in Abu Dhabi and the Bahrain Teachers College in Bahrain, and was a consultant to Tatweer in KSA. He also advised on the establishment of the Sampoerna School of Education in Indonesia, and is currently consultant to the Singapore International Schools Group in Indonesia.
His latest publications are Education and the Nation State, Routledge 2012 and Globalization and the Singapore Curriculum, Springer 2013.
Dr N Varaprasad has over 38 years experience in higher education, equally split between polytechnic-level education and university education. He was the founding Principal/CEO of the highly innovative Temasek Polytechnic and Deputy President at the National University of Singapore. He later became CEO of the National Library Board for a further six years, overseeing the National Library and the network of public libraries in Singapore.
His extensive experience covers technical and higher education and management, as well as library management. He is concurrently Adjunct Professor at Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS).
He is the recipient of many awards from governments and professional societies, including the Singapore Public Administration Medal (Gold).
His latest book "50 Years of Technical Education in Singapore - How to Build a World-class TVET System" was published in 2016.
We offer a professional and value for money service covering the following areas:
Our pool of experienced consultants will be happy to discuss and understand your requirements thoroughly before making a proposal.
- Academic Leadership in Times of Change
- Performace Appraisal of Academic Staff
- Policies for Enhancing Teacher Competencies
- Teachers as Reflective Professionals
- The Challenge to Improve Schools in the 21st Century
- 21st Century School Leadership
- Schools as Learning Organisations
- Building Effective Performance Management Systems
- Progressive Instructional Strategies for Integrating 21C Skills
- Effectively Engaging Students in the Classroom
- Addressing Student Needs through Differentiated Instruction
- Designing Meaningful ICT-integrated Lessons
- Teaching Multiple Literacies
- Teaching 2nd Language Vocabulary Development
- Mathematics Education Strategies
- Preventing and Overcoming Maths Learning Issues
- Code of Ethics for ECE
- Tech Toys in Pre-school classrooms
- Family and Community Engagement
- Mentoring ECE Teachers
- Multiple Intelligence Theory
- Sensory Motor Development
- Children with Special Needs
- Mentoring Programme for ECE Leaders
- ICT for Teaching and Learning
- Assessing Student Learning
- Classroom Behaviour Management
- Student Development and the Learning Process
- Key Skills for Instructional Effectiveness
Singapore has established a global reputation for its educational planning, standards and delivery across the whole spectrum, from pre-primary to post secondary and higher education. Major international competitive assessments show that Singapore students score highly not only in mathematics and science but also in creative problem-solving and group work.
In technical education, Singapore is recognised alongside Switzerland and Germany as having one of the most rigorous yet efficient training systems geared to economic development. As a result of ITEs and polytechnics, Singapore enjoys ine of the lowest youth unemployment rates in the world.
Education is seen as the engine for social and economic development in both developed and developing countries. Many policy makers and planners deem the Singapore model as worthy of study, emulation and adaptation for their own countries. To meet this challenge, the most experienced and successful educators in Singapore have come together to form the Singapore Education Consulting Group, to provide a full-spectrum consulting service to ministries, institutions, schools and educational agencies.
- Skills Gap Analysis
- School System Reform
- Early Childhood Education
- Higher Education Development
- Library Planning and Operations
- Innovative Learning Technologies
- Policy Planning and Development
- School Planning and Improvement
- Technical and Vocational Education (TVET)
- Educational Leadership Development
- Educational Quality Assurance
- Initial Teacher Training and Professional Development
- English, Mathematics, Science curriculum development
- Higher Education Leadership Development
- Resource Management in HE
Among our clients have been
- Royal Diwan of the Sultanate of Oman
- The World Bank (projects in Mauritius, and Rwanda)
- Emirate of Abu Dhabi
- Brunei Darusalaam
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Australian and New Zealand School of Government
- Private school chain in Indonesia
SECG experts strive to provide the highest quality professional services to result in meaningful and measurable progress to meet our client needs and goals.
Integrity is our cornerstone in pursuit of excellence.
We work in collaboration with clients to ensure that educational strategies and practices introduced are viable and sustainable long after the consultancy period.
Dr. Anita Nazareth holds a B.Sc. Honours degree from the National University of Singapore, and an M.Ed (1982) and a PhD (1984) in Education Planning and Management from the Centre for International Education, University of Massachusetts, Amherst USA.
Anita is currently an independent consultant with over 30 years’ experience working in the education development and training sectors.
She has conducted professional development programs for pre-service and in-service teachers as well as Academic Advisors, school heads and private university faculty in several countries. Her work experiences include full-time advisory, management and research positions with: The Abu Dhabi Education Zone, U.A.E. (2001-06); The Commonwealth Secretariat (London, U.K.- 1991-96); The World Bank (Washington D.C.-1982-90); and SEAMEO-INNOTECH (Manila, The Philippines -1979-81) as well as with the Governments of Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Uganda, United Arab Emirates and Oman.
She is an advocate of innovative skills upgrading of educators capable of promoting a Positive Mindset in all learners and incorporating 21st Century skills through world-class content in curriculum at all academic levels to result is global- savvy citizens ready to meet the evolving needs of a competitive work place.
Our Associates team is drawn internationally, comprising of school principals, curriculum specialists, and technical specialists, hand-picked for their knowledge and hands on implementation experience.
School Development and Adult Training
School Leadership Development
ICT in Teaching and Learning
Mathematics Curriculum Specialist
Early Childhood specialist
Early Childhood and Special Needs
English Curriculum Specialist